Tuesday 5 May 2015

Favourite books

I was the lucky recipient of a booky-present over the weekend. I love reading, and I always have a book on the go. Sometimes it takes me a long time to finish (I don't get much time for reading these days), but it doesn't matter to me.

I'm not a huge fan of e-readers either. I can see how handy they are, and in fact had one myself. However, when it recently broke, I decided I wouldn't bother to replace it. There's something about the feel of a real book in your hands, and seeing them on the shelf that I love.



S and I were browsing in a bookshop over the weekend (he is a massive bookworm too). I decided I would treat myself to a couple of paperbacks, and was all set to head up to the counter and pay, when S said he would get them for me! He'd had a National Booktoken card lurking in his wallet for about 18 months - a Christmas present from a couple of years ago. He was saving it and saving it to spend on something special (he tends to mainly buy second hand books), and on Sunday he decided that he was never going to find anything to spend it on, and decided to spend it on me instead!


So, lucky me, I not only walked away with the two paperbacks I'd picked up, but also a lovely hard back edition of one of my favourite classics - Sense and Sensibility. All courtesy of S and his book token! He is so great - I really did feel guilty about him spending his money on me, but after protesting for a while, I saw that I might hurt his feelings if I absolutely refused.




Anyway, it got me thinking about what my favourite books are, and I thought I would share a list of some of my top reads:

  1. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
  2. Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier
  3. Diary of a Provincial Lady by E.M. Delafield
  4. Dracula by Bram Stoker
  5. I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith
Do you have any favourites that you read over and over? 



4 comments:

  1. Books that I love to re-read include......

    Hideous Kinky by Esther Freud (and anything else she writes, but this one, I read about once a year)
    Of Love and Other Demons by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
    The Moomins books by Tove Jansson (I know, I'm an adult, but they are magical and beautiful)
    I also love authors Natasha Solomons, Marina Lewika and (for the historical detail) Tracy Chevalier - I'll read anything by these authors! I also just read The Mayor of Casterbridge - really enjoyed it! I'm a fan of Tess too (poor Tess).

    I'm a bath reader - it's the only time I read really - otherwise I find I can't stay still long enough!
    Your new book is lovely - I agree about real books versus electronic things to read from. I've never been tempted. Real books are beautiful, especially if you can get really nice copies for the shelf:) And what a lovely gesture of your fella to buy them for you. I'd have accepted too!
    Liked the pics of the crochet, have you got a project on the go:
    Kate x
    www.loopandbar.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love thinking about such lists, and mine would be:

    Anne of Green Gables
    My annual reading of Gone With The Wind
    Pride and Prejudice
    Fever Pitch (I'm a sports historian 'by trade', and Nick Hornby illustrates the lot of the supporter so well here)

    I also dip into many essay books over and over again - the likes of Knitting Through It (ed Lela Nargi), Bill Bryson's travel books, Ian Mortimer's time travel histories, and a few others that wait their turn on the shelves. When in doubt, I also turn to my grandmother's inscribed prize copy of Little Women from 1926.

    Love your crochet, and now it's time for a quick read!


    Lynda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I like Pride and Prejudice, and Little Women too. I loved the sequel, Good Wives too! My grandma gave me copies of both when I was little.

      Have a great day
      Jenx

      Delete
  3. Hey keep posting such good and meaningful articles.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all your comments, so if you have a question to ask or just something to say, please leave me a message and I'll reply!